Monday, June 18, 2007

MMOs on the Mac

Ahhh the elusive Mac Gamer, a loud, passionate, but small group. Mac isn't exactly the optimum gaming platform right now, things are changing albeit slowly. So as a mac user I'm interested in finding those MMOs out there for my platform, because lets face it Bootcamp is nice, but it isn't fun having to reboot every time I want to load up a game. So I've compiled a list of games that run natively on Mac OSX.

  1. World of Warcraft

  2. No matter what your opinion of Blizzard, they are simply the best when it comes to Mac releases, it is hard to find someone that is more dedicated to the platform. WoW of course doesn't need much introduction so I will leave it at that.

  3. EverQuest For Mac

  4. Another big name in the MMO world, EverQuest is not just a PC game. Though I should add that this isn't the PC version, EQ for the Mac has its own server, so you can't play with your friends on the PC. Also EQ for Mac hasn't been kept current with standard EQ, EQ for the Mac only has four expansions, Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, Shadows of Luclin, and Planes of Power. So don't expect to be getting the full 14 expansions that standard EQ has. Still a fun game, with a good community of members still hanging around.
    (note for those on Intel Macs, EQ for Mac isn't a Universal Binary)

  5. Second Life

  6. Though Second Life isn't your standard MMOG, it is certainly worth mentioning as it does have native Mac support, and is growing at a rapid pace.

  7. Shadowbane

  8. A bit older, Shadowbane has been around a few years, and isn't considered one of the top tier but it is now completely free to download and play.

  9. Lineage

  10. One of the biggest MMOs ever is also for the Mac, now this was primarily popular in Korea, but also had quite the following in the States. With a free trial it is certainly worth checking out.

  11. A Tale In the Desert

  12. I have never really tried ATITD, I've heard people speak highly of it. Leave a comment if you have played this game I'd be interested in hearing about it from a player.

  13. EVE Online

  14. This is a bit premature, but CCP has said that they will have a Mac OSX client out by the end of summer '07, so let us keep our collective fingers crossed. From what I hear on the internets, CCP will be utilizing Transgaming's Cider technology to bring EVE to the Mac.

  15. Vendetta Online

  16. Sporting a nice Mac OSX port along with a Linux port, this space MMO is small but from what I've heard close knit with a good community.


That's all I've come up with right now, if you think I should have included something please leave a comment and I'll be sure to include it. See you next time!

--
Cheston

No comments: